Friday, March 16, 2012

Embroidered Cuffs!

Welcome to a new category on my blog: The no-sewing-machine projects!
I am away from home for a few weeks and don't have a sewing machine at hands. While I try to improve my drawing skills, I still can't quite survive completely without some kind of fabric or yarn between my fingers... :-)
So I made this cuff:


The base is a kind of wire mesh I got at the DIY store, I don't know what it is really called in English, nor what it is originally meant for...  You will need metal shears to cut it in shape:




I cut the general shape of a cuff:



...then I started wrapping yarn into the wire mesh. I also used some pearls. I used a blanket stitch around the edge to be sure it won't scratch me. Below you see all the materials I used for this - it really isn't much and fits into a travel bag easily!


It turned out so cute! It has a bit of an Aztec look to it, and I can think of a million variations for this project!


I am considering adding a button or some kind of closure, but it actually stays on my arm really well as is, and it doesn't bend open on its own.



I will definitely continue making these and I will post variations on it sometime soonish, like next month, when I am back home and have made a little collection... I will give a bit more how-to information then, too, although it really is a straight-forward, self-explanatory project. Go ahead and try it!


In the meantime, I have other no-sewing-machine projects going on, like these hand-sewn leather gloves! This is the first one, now I have to finish the second one and take some pictures of the making-of... hopefully very soon, before summer comes to town ;-)










Best to all of you,
Katja

7 comments:

  1. I like it. It's fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katja, you have a few blog awards and a challenge waiting on my blog.
    The cuff you made is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I love this! The colour and design is wonderful:) nice work:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice, good idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. really creative and beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete