Tuesday, April 19, 2011

You know what I did last Sunday?

Yes, we are all excited about spring kissing our cheeks. But I am behind schedule with my winter set. Luckily it is a Fall-Winter-Spring set (a travel set with 10 interchangeable pieces of clothing), and this was the last really wintery item on the list. It makes the hopefully short return of the 1-digit-temperatures more bearable:


Oh, don't say it... I know it. Santaclause, right? So what? I like the little bit of Santa-ness of this jacket, and I know I will love it when the next winter comes around. Somehow it's more of a before-Christmas garment.
I once bought a really great coat in the middle of summer, and it made the arrival of  winter so much better! On that note, this jacket has built in make-me-happy-power for next October.
I came up with the pattern myself. It's basically a circle. If you want to see how I did it, read on...


First I thought about the total length I want the jacket to be, then measured how far apart the sleeve openings have to be (upper back measurement). From that starting point I started fiddling around with a muslin, making darts and tucks here and there. Then I sewed it up. Easy. Originally I wanted a loosely knit fabric and actually thought about knitting myself. Well, there was no time for that, and yes, I want to finish this set by May at the latest... This is luscious wool fabric instead (I think it's knit fabric, but I am not even sure!...), not a bad choice at all, and I got it for such a great price...


Nothing precise at all at that stage, just trying stuff

These "pleats" were later sewn on the inside...

On the actual fashion fabric I did NOT cut out those darts. I only did that on the muslin, to transfer them more easily to the fashion fabric...

If you are interested, I can post exact measurements and a how-to, but I would love it if this inspired you to just go ahead and play with some fabric.
I really like this jacket and will definitely make it again, without Santa trim and a bit more edgy looking. I already have the perfect fabric in my stash for it, but it's a dark green and would not have worked for my travel set.
After making a "wearable blanket" once out of a basic square (posted here in my BurdaStyle studio) I find this one has even more potential. It actually would make a cute bathrobe, too...

For coolness, wear it open...

I like the shape in the back...

I really like it buttoned up...

I will present this jacket along with the other winter-set pieces when I have the blouse and shorts made up next...

The requirements for this jacket were:
  • it has to go with all the other items of the set (no, duh...)
  • it has to fit under the coat
  • it has to work as an outside jacket for the days when the coat would be too much (like: now!)
  • it has to be really warm...
I think I can check all that off. What do you think? Do you like the shape?



5 comments:

  1. It looks really cozy and warm:) nice! I love the pattern, I didn't actually guess it was just a big circle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all sorts of fab, actually. Love the shape. Plus, a little santa in the winter isn't a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you two! It really almost makes me sad the weather is getting too warm for it. Almost. Oh and beangirl, I have been given your awesome award. I shall post it here soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the shape, so flattering. very cool, as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I'm Brazilian, and I'm so like your projects.
    Dear, can you post this tutorial or send to my email? I really love it!
    Kisses


    Email fran@mundoperdido.com.br

    ReplyDelete